Saturday, December 17, 2011

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Has anyone else in Utah attended the Dicken's Christmas Festival and actually enjoyed it?  Nate and I decided to take Morgan and go last night since I started making a little extra money tutoring.  I noticed on their webpage that you could save a $1 by  buying tickets in advance online, and since every dollar counts, I did that, and saved .75 a ticket because there's always a fee when you buy online.  So $12.50 and high expectations later we arrived at the Utah State Fair Park where of course you have to pay $5 for parking.  $17.50! Okay, whatever, it may still be worth it.  Have you ever paid $17.50 to go to a flea mall, because that's basically what we did?!  The advertisement said "not just another craft show."  It promised entertainment, caroling, and Father Christmas.  Entertainment came in the form of a young girls dancing show.  That's cute and fine if there's more to it.  No Carolers.  Oh, and you want your child to see Father Christmas.  I was told that would cost $20 more!  You have to be kidding me.  Yes, there was a lot of food.  Yes, there were lots of shopping opportunities.  But just because you put "Ye Olde" in front of a word does not make it Olde!  Ye Olde Mexican Bags.  Ye Olde Navajo Tacos!  Not to mention, all of this requires money and we just paid $17.50 to get into the place.  Okay, there were the free reindeer to see.  And there was a free carriage ride from one building to another if you could wait in line for it.  That's what we got for our $17.50.  Next time, I'd choose Hogle Zoo lights instead for sure!

I don't really like confrontation, but I was so disappointed I decided to express my concerns to someone in charge, honestly, hoping for a refund.  I still want to enjoy a Christmas activity!  So I sent out an e-mail expressing my wish to speak to someone, and just a few hours later received a phone call.  It was nice to have my e-mail answered quickly.  I expressed my concerns nervously but calmly and this is what I was told.  "I'm sorry you didn't enjoy yourself.  If you had found me last night I would have showed you the free stuff."  "You can sit on Father Christmas's lap for free.  It only costs to have a picture.  Whoever told you that must have misunderstood you."  This is my problem?  She'll take my concerns to the board.  How does that help my family this year?  What a disappointment?  I'm sorry, but I would not suggest this activity to anyone I know.  Well, unless they like to spend money for the chance to spend more money.  Go to "Ye Olde Wal-Mart" or "Ye Olde Target" instead!

Thanks for letting me vent!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't been to Dicken's Festival since I was little....even then it was to perform. I do remember carolers and plays but mostly just crafts that were WAY expensive. Sorry to hear it has gone downhill. That is a ridiculous price to pay just for entry! So glad you posted this because I was just thinking about taking the fam this week and now I won't waste our time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got your text about it last night. We were at the Mormon Tabernacle Christmas Concert (free) where we heard plenty of caroling at Ye Olde Conference Center. So sorry it was awful! What a waste of money! Glad to hear your rant. No way am I going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Well said Kim! I love your spirit! And I'm sorry it was Ye olde LAME!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know. That was fun to read... You should vent more often :)

    ReplyDelete